Noosa Electric Co. has a strong commitment to sustainability. We are actively seeking to optimise our business to enable our services to be delivered in a sustainable way, and to also raise awareness in the community of environmental issues affecting our industry and products. This is expressed by the initiatives described below.
- We monitor our energy, water and waste usage to track progress and make improvements.
Generating Rooftop Solar On-Site
- Our premises features a 20kW roof solar system to utilise solar energy for our premises.
- We optimise our energy usage while renewable energy is being generated.
- We replaced inefficient high bay metal halide lights in the warehouse and fluoro tubes in the office with efficient LEDs.
Efficient Heating & Cooling
- We installed a new, energy-efficient ducted air conditioning unit.
- We set the thermostat of the air conditioning unit to an efficient 24C in summer and 22C in winter.
- Our ducted unit and single split system downstairs at reception are serviced and the filters cleaned regularly to ensure they operate efficiently.
- Our office windows are tinted to reduce heat ingress and fitted with blinds.
- We installed whirly birds in the warehouse to remove heat
- Our building is insulated.
- We replaced all desktop computers with laptops (bar one).
- Our photocopier uses energy saving settings.
- We aim to increase community awareness around energy efficiency options onsite and on the businesses’ website.
- Monitor the driving behaviour of electricians on the road.
- Staff undertake a checklist before taking the vehicle out that includes checking the tire pressure.
- We schedule trips to minimise use of fuel, carbon emissions and time.
- Recent vehicles purchased have smaller more efficient diesel engines. We are looking at gradually replacing fleet with electric vans.
- We are 99% paper-free.
- The site is registered to remove refrigerants so can safely recycle fridges and air conditioning units long with other white goods.
- Some dismantling and segregation into different metal types e.g., copper, aluminium.
- Clean polystyrene is collected in a bulka bag and taken to the Noosa’s Resource and Recovery Centre where it can reduce in size and recycled.
- Cardboard is recycled through the site’s co-mingle recycling bin or given to a potter who crimps it to make packaging wrap.
- Drink containers are collected and taken home by staff for recycling through the Containers for Change scheme.
- Gas bottles and vehicle batteries recycled.
- Fleet tyres and oils/coolants recycled through service provider.
Commitment & Policy
- We have a strong commitment to sustainability, reflected by our environmental policy, which is regularly reviewed and updated.